How do I find out the zoning classification of my property?
You can find out your zoning classification by looking at the Teton County Zoning Map. Teton County has an GIS Department homepage through the GIS Department available online. In addition to Zoning, other maps like parcel ownership, natural resource overlays, voter precincts, and many more are available. Tutorials for using the online maps are also available on the GIS Department homepage. If you don’t have access to the online maps, you can also call the Planning Department at 208-776-8240.
What am I permitted to do on my property?
Once you know your zoning district, reference the Land Use Table (Section 3-2-2) in Chapter 3 of the Teton County Land Development Code.
What is a Permitted Use?
Zoning is used to regulate land uses by dividing the area into different districts such as residential, commercial, and industrial zones. Within each of these district categories, land is zoned for particular property uses. The district can also allow certain permitted uses for the land, which gives the owner the ability to use the property for his/her intended use. Permitted uses do not require an application process.
What is a Special Use Permit?
Special Use Permits are an allowed approval process in Idaho State Code and the Teton County Code for uses that require an additional level of review, special conditions placed upon them prior to approval, or specific limits placed upon them due to the nature and/or location of the proposed use. The Special Use Permit process ensures that the public has an opportunity to review and comment on the application. A Special Use Permit is an application process which has a public hearing before the Planning & Zoning Commission and the Board of County Commissioners. More information on this process can be found in Chapter 4 of the Teton County Land Development Code (Section 4-8 Special Uses).
Are home businesses allowed?
Yes, home businesses are allowed. This can be done through a home business or home industry permit. More information can be found in the Teton County Land Development Code Chapter 3 (Section 3-9-6 & 3-9-8).
What is the Scenic Corridor?
These standards apply to all applications and permits for physical development located within five hundred (500) feet of Idaho State Highways 31, 32, and 33 and Ski Hill Road within Teton County. Any development that occurs in the Scenic Corridor must go through a design review and receive approval before a building permit may be issued. The Scenic Corridor Design Review has to be approved by the Planning & Zoning Commission. The Design Review Criteria can be found in the Teton County Land Development Code Chapter 5 (Section 5-5 Scenic Resource Protection). 
What is the Right to Farm Act?
The right to farm is a natural right and is recognized as a permitted use throughout the State of Idaho.
Although agriculture is allowed in all zoning districts, some uses may be regulated (see Chapter 4 ofTitle 8 for a list of permitted uses for each zoning district).
Can I subdivide my land?
Yes, there are three options to split your land. More information on each of these options is available in Title 9.
Agricultural Exemption – A bona fide division or partition of agricultural land of agricultural purposes, which is the division of land into lots/parcels, all of which are twenty (20) acres or larger and maintained as agricultural lands. This exemption does not apply to a division for residential purposes, which means lots created through an Agricultural Exemption do not have residential building rights. Agricultural Exemptions do not go through a process with the Planning Department. Building rights may be obtained on Agricultural Exemption lots by going through the subdivision process.
One Time Only – The One Time Only (OTO) may be used to create 2 lots, total. The OTO requires at least 20 acres to be eligible. In the A-20 zone, 40 acres is needed so the two lots created by the OTO can meet the minimum lot size of 20 acres. OTO splits cannot be used on parcels that were created through an Agricultural Exemption (also referred to as Agricultural Splits or Agricultural Break Offs). The OTO can only be used once, so if a lot was created through the OTO process, that lot may not be split again using the OTO.
Subdivision/Planned Unit Development – The Subdivision/Planned Unit Development (PUD) process allows a property to be divided into 2 or more lots. This is a 3 phase process that requires public hearings before the Planning & Zoning Commission and the Board of County Commissioners.
I own a platted subdivision lot, and I want to split it. Is this possible?
It may be possible to split a platted subdivision lot. A platted subdivision lot may only be split through a plat amendment. Creating a new lot is considered a Substantial Change – Increase Scale, Impact. This process requires public hearings before the Planning & Zoning Commission and the Board of County Commissioners. The Amended Final Plat will also have to be signed by all property owners in the subdivision. The Plat Amendment process can be found in Chapter 7 of Title 9. 
What if I have CC&Rs? Do I have to comply with the County's Codes?
The County Code is the minimum requirement for all property in the county, whether a lot is located in a platted subdivision or not. A subdivision may have Covenants, Conditions, & Restrictions (CC&Rs), which are a civil agreement between property owners. CC&Rs may be more restrictive than the County Code; however, the County only enforces the County Code.
May I use an RV as a residence?
A Recreational Vehicle (RV) is considered a Temporary Structure as Living Quarters, which may be permitted on a property for no more than 180 days. A Temporary Structure will require a Temporary Use Permit through the Planning Department.
Am I allowed to build a tiny home?
If you are planning to build or purchase a dwelling of any kind, including a “tiny home”, it must comply with the requirements of a site built, modular building, or manufactured home. Both site built and modular buildings must comply with minimum area requirements of the building code. The smallest a house can be and still meet these requirements is about 150 square feet of floor area. The HUD manufactured home standard is intended for manufacturing facilities and is very difficult to apply to one-time construction. For more information on building code requirements, contact the Teton County Building Department.

If a tiny home does not meet the requirements of a site built, modular building, or manufactured home, it may be considered a Recreational Vehicle. If this is the case, it would be considered a Temporary Structure and could not be used as a permanent dwelling.
Can I have two residences on my property?
Yes, you may be eligible for an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU). Each property in the County could be allowed up to a maximum of two dwelling units, one Primary Dwelling and one ADU. The primary home has no size requirements. The size restriction on ADUs are based on the size of your parcel. No ADU may exceed 1,500 square feet.

ADU Size Chart:

1. Parcel size less than or 2.5 acres =  Max ADU size of 900 sq. ft.
2. Parcel sizes between 2.5 and 7.5 acres =  Max ADU size of 1,200 sq. ft.
3. Parcel sizes greater than 7.5 acres =  Max ADU size of 1,500 sq. ft.

All ADUs require a building permit and are required to pay a Residential Impact Fee
May I rent out my house?
Teton County does not currently have zoning requirements for short or long term rentals, unless the use is considered a Campground or a Bed & Breakfast. If your use is a Campground or Bed & Breakfast, permits are required through the Planning Department.

A Campground is defined as:

CAMPGROUNG/RV PARK OR TRAVEL TRAILER CAMP: A parcel of land under single, unified ownership or control, within which spaces are rented or used by the ownership for occupancy by two (2) or more recreational vehicles and may include tent sites, cabin sites, or travel trailer sites for nightly or short-term rental.

A Bed & Breakfast is defined as:

BED & BREAKFAST, RESIDENTIAL: An establishment or business that is a private, owner-occupied residence with one to three guestrooms, occupied or used as a transient abiding place of individuals or groups of individuals who are lodged for compensation, with or without food service, for a stay of no more than 14 consecutive days.

If you are renting your property, you should contact the Idaho State Tax Commission to ensure you are properly registered.